Helping you administer an estate when someone dies

When someone dies anything that they have left behind is known as their estate. Honouring their wishes as to how they would like that divided or given wholly to an individual or organisation means some administration on your part.

To administer an estate you will probably need a grant of administration, this will come in the form of a grant of probate if the deceased person left a will, or letters of administration if they did not.

In cases where assets are jointly owned, or where the estate doesn’t include, land, property or shares, you may not need a grant of administration. The Banks or Building Societies holding monies needing to be released will advise you as even in these cases they may require a grant of administration.

To help you through this process an excellent guide can be found at the government portal.

If you need any help we will be happy to advise.

Back to top